Thursday, February 18, 2010

Beloved: Spoiler Alert!

Um, yeah so I know this is WAY overdue but I just saw the movie Beloved. First of all WHY? I'm not really a symbolism type of person and I assume it had a lot of that in this movie. If that's not what it was then this movie was worse than I thought. Before I start I will say if you haven't seen the movie and would like to see it please don't read this. I pretty much sum up the movie and I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone. So it opens up and I thought maybe I had started the DVD off in the middle of the movie. You know how some DVDs will start from where it was last stopped at? Yes, this is what I thought at first. Kids are screaming and a dog is being twirled around in the air by some invisible force. WHAT? I thought 'is this a horror movie'? I started to pick up the box and read the back but I said no I'll just wait and watch. So some kids run off and then years later Danny Glover shows up. Oh, believe me I skipped nothing, so if you're wondering what that opening was about so was I. At this point I'm like WHO are these people? I saw Oprah and some kids, then Danny shows up. Who is he supposed to be? Apparently he knows her, okay so he decides to stay. I still have no idea how he is related to Oprah's character and then he walks in and he sees the house glowing red. I am shaking my head because I am just so lost, but I am hoping my questions will be answered as the story goes on. I figure the house is haunted, still no indication from the movie, but I assume that is what is happening. Kimberly Elise is Oprah's daughter in this movie and she is apparently sick of living in a haunted house! Finally we're getting somewhere, she confirms it, but at this point I have like 100 other questions that haven't been answered. Meanwhile as I'm trying to put two and two together the movie is continuing to unfold which develops more and more questions. At this point I'm just watching to see what craziness happens next. So Danny moves in, they're all still dealing with the haunting until one day the ghost gets really angry and Danny, fed up, screams at it and its over. REALLY? That's all it took? Okay, so now start the flashbacks from the past, which are supposed to fill in the blank spaces but only makes things more confusing. Again, I can't very well turn it off now, I have to see what happens next in this three ring circus. Next thing you know Thandie Newton shows up, dressed all in black and sounding like someone who has smoked their voice box down to nothing. They take her in and are all living like a family. Thandie, who plays Beloved, apparently is mentally challenged. I think this is the only thing in this movie that I picked up on right away. I don't know if she had special powers but she convinces Danny's character to have sex with her. Again, WHAT? He does, feels guilty and leaves, leaving Oprah, Kimberly, and Thandie to live as a family. Oprah discovers that Thandie is her daughter she thought she had murdered as an infant. One more thing that I finally picked up on as well. So Oprah's character is happy, but then Thandie begins to spiral out of control, and finally you realize she is pregnant. Oprah is losing it, and Kimberly has to take up work to support the three of them. Sounding insane or like some parts are missing? Well yes, it's in sane and no there are no parts missing, trust me aside from the random flashbacks which will not help to explain anything else. So as Kimberly is trying to maintain working, a mob shows up at the house. I assume they have heard of the hardships of Oprah and Thandie and they are singing at the entrance to the house. Oprah and Thandie come out on the front porch, mind you Thandie is fully naked and pregnant the mob gasps. Oprah then, upon seeing a white man approaching to pick Kimberly up for work, believes he has come to take her and Thandie away. Oprah's character approaches with an ice pick and is held down. Thandie screams and then she disappears. Never to be seen again. At this point I am pretty much done with this movie. It can only go downhill from this point. The best part of this movie were the credits rolling at the end because it was over. I will say the acting was impeccable, and I assure you I am not being sarcastic. The story line however seemed like some one's terrible dreams all meshed into one story that took too long to end. I'm sorry, I love you Oprah but I can't hop on board with this movie.

Wisdom & Love

No comments: